Smoked Mackerel Caesar Salad
A truly international dish:- invented by an Italian restraunteur for his Mexican establishment, popularised in California..... and now appropriated by a cunning Cornish chef and given a delightfully fishy tweak
- Dish Type: Main / Starter
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine type: American
- 220g Packs of Smoked Mackerel x 2
- 400g Cos Lettuce
- 120g Rosemary Foccacia
- 100g Cucumber
- 50g Parmesan Cheese
- 50ml Pouch of Homemade Caesar Dressing
- 28g Anchovy fillets
- Cut your focaccia into large cubes for croutons. Place them into a bowl, add about 30ml olive oil and toss together to allow the croutons to absorb the oil. (Tip: you could add a finely chopped clove of garlic to the oil beforehand).
- Spread the croutons onto a non-stick baking tray and place into a preheated oven at 160C. Bake for about 10 minutes, until they are golden and crispy. You may want to check at about 5 minutes and turn them over. When ready, remove them from oven and put them aside to cool.
- Remove your smoked mackerel fillets from the packets and gently peel off the skin. Break the fillets into bite-sized pieces.
- Prep your cos lettuce by chopping roughly. Wash, shake dry and place into a large bowl. Cut the cucumber into knuckle-sized chunks.
- Add the majority of the Caesar dressing to the lettuce with the cucumber, half of the Parmesan and the smoked mackerel. Toss well together.
- To serve, build the dressed salad into a couple of salad bowls, making sure of an even distribution of ingredients. Scatter the croutons and anchovy fillets over, then finish with the remaining Parmesan and dressing.
We also recommend these easy mackerel recipes
Nutrition per serving
- Per Serving 787kcal / 4683kj
- Fat 78.4g
- Saturates 17.9g
- Carbs 33.0g
- Sugars 6.3g
- Protein 69.2g
- Salt 7.29g