Cornish Mackerel and Chunky Tomato Sauce - Seafoodie Range
3 Expertly filleted Cornish Mackerel and a generous pouch of home-made Chunky Tomato Sauce will form the basis of this French classic with a thoroughly Cornish twist - 'Mackerel Penne Nicoise'. Why not confound the weather and eat Riviera-style?
- Dish Type: Main
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 12 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cuisine type: Mediterranean
Your FFT Fish & Sauce kit will include:
- 6 x Mackerel Fillets
- 400g pouch of Chunky Tomato Sauce
Further ingredients required to make this recipe:
- 120g Penne
- 80g French Beans
- 20g Black Olives
- 4 x Anchovy Fillets
- 20g Sun-Blushed Tomatoes
- 20g Wild Rocket
- 2 x Eggs
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the French beans, reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes until just tender, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and refresh in a bowl of cold water. Drain and retain.
- Into the same pan add a splash of olive oil then add the penne and cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until tender, but still firm to bite.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the chunky tomato sauce in a pan and then turn into a baking dish, add the beans, sun-blushed tomatoes and Black olives and place into the oven at 150C to keep warm
- Place the eggs in a pan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 4 ½ - 5 minutes, then drain and put them into cold water. Peel and cut the eggs into quarters
- Pan fry your mackerel fillets in some olive oil or rapeseed oil, skin side down in a medium heated non-stick frying pan. Fry until golden, crisp and almost cooked through before turning to finish them off. Gently remove from the pan and keep warm (you can see a film of how to get the perfect crispy skin on our Fish for Thought TV YouTube).
- To serve, remove the pasta from the oven and place into a serving dish, place the mackerel fillets and eggs on top, then garnish with anchovy fillets and wild rocket. Place on the table and serve yourselves into warmed pasta bowls.
Nutrition per serving
- Per Serving 826kcal / 3447kj
- Fat 41.4g
- Saturates 8.4g
- Carbs 52.8g
- Sugars 16.8g
- Protein 45.3g
- Salt 3.2g