Fish Pie Topped with Puff Pastry
This recipe makes a change from the fish pie that's normally topped with mash potato, and with the addition of a little smoked haddock for extra flavour, this recipe is sure to be a winner.
- Dish Type: Pastry
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Difficulty: Medium
- Cuisine type: Pastry
- 350g Fish Pie Mix, (including a little smoked haddock)
- 225ml Milk
- 125g Puff Pastry (shop bought ready to roll)
- 40g Onion (finely diced)
- 30g Butter
- 30g Plain Flour (plus an extra dusting of flour for rolling pastry)
- 1x tsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 0.5x tsp Mustard
- 10ml Splash of Double Cream
- 15ml Beaten Egg
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Wheat (Gluten)
- Place the fish in a shallow baking dish and preheat the oven to 160°c
- Heat the milk in a small pan and then pour over the fish. Then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and cook of the onion for 3-4 minutes without colour.
- Stir the flour into the butter and onion to form a roux. Cook the roux for a few minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove the fish and drain the milk through a sieve. Add the milk to the cooked roux gradually and whisk to form a smooth sauce. (you may need to add a splash more milk if a lot has evaporated during the cooking of the fish)
- Add the mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish the sauce with a splash of cream and stir in the fresh parsley.
- Place the cooked fish carefully into a pie dish, keeping the chunks whole.
- Pour over the sauce and keep back any that's left over to serve with the finished dish.
- Roll out the puff pastry to just a little bigger than your dish.
- Wet the edges of the pie dish with a little water.
- Cover the pie dish with pastry and roughly crimp the edges. Brush with beaten egg and pierce the centre to allow steam to escape. (If you have a pie funnel place this under the pastry with its spout sticking through)
- Bake in a preheated oven 180°c for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and turned golden brown.
- Serve with some seasonal vegetables and fluffy mashed potato on the side.
You can purchase our quality Pie Mix BY CLICKING HERE
And you can buy our Luxury Fish Pie BY CLICKING HERE
Nutrition per serving
- Per 100g 162cal / 677kj
- Fat 9.5g
- Saturates 4.8g
- Carbs 9.0g
- Sugars 1.8g
- Protein 9.8g