(fillet weight) (filleted and skinned)
450g Mashed Potato (cold)
100g Strong Cheddar (grated)
80g Onion (finely diced)
1 Egg (beaten)
1 tbsp Chives (chopped)
Seasoning (salt and pepper)
25ml Olive Oil
1. Steam the fish and for 10 minutes or cook in an oven with a little milk, remove and allow to cool.
2. Shallow fry the onion in the oil for 8 to 10 minutes without colour, remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Flake the fish into a mixing bowl being careful to remove any bones.
4. Add the potato, egg, chopped chives, grated Cheddar and a little salt and pepper - mix all the ingredients together.
5. Divide into ten and shape into rough balls.
6. Roll in the breadcrumbs and shape into a cake about 65mm x 30mm making sure they are evenly coated in breadcrumbs.
7. To cook shallow fry for 5-6 minutes each side and finish off in the oven for another five minutes if needed*
*Depending on what breadcrumbs you use the fish cakes can brown quicker, if you find they are going too dark too quickly remove from the pan and finish in the oven.