x tablespoons of Olive Oil
ml medium dry White Wine
Salt and cracked Black Pepper
x tsp Smoked Paprika
1. Wash and roughly cut the fennel bulb into 2cm/1" pieces. Heat the oil in a large roasting tin and add the fennel. Roast in a preheated oven 190°c for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and move the fennel pieces to one side of the tin.
2. Place the fish carefully in the roasting tin, pour white wine over the top and sprinkle with a little salt, cracked black pepper and paprika.
3. Return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked (do not overcook) - to test insert a knife into the thickest part of the fish, parting the flakes and if the flesh still looks opaque then cook a little longer, but 15-20 minutes should be enough.
4. When cooked, remove from oven and serve on a warm plate with a few pieces of the roasted fennel bulb on top. Drizzle with some of the juices in the pan and finish with a few leaves of flat parsley and a wedge of lemon.
5. This dish goes well with new potatoes, roasted in their skins with fresh rosemary.