x cloves Garlic (chopped)
x tsp Parsley (chopped)
x tsp Chives (chopped)
x tsp Tarragon (chopped)
Salt and Pepper
1. Wash the mussels under plenty of cold, running water. Discard any open ones that won't close when lightly squeezed.
2. Pull out the tough, fibrous beards protruding from between the tightly closed shells and knock off any barnacles. Give the mussels another quick rinse to remove any little pieces of shell.
3. Heat the butter in a large pan big enough to take all the mussels, add the onion and garlic then cook without colour for 4 minutes.
4. Add the mussels, vermouth and wine and then turn up the heat to a rapid boil for 5 minutes, tossing the mussels around during cooking until all have opened. (Placing a lid on the pan helps the cooking process)
5. Add all the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon into two warmed bowls and serve with warm crusty bread and butter, or a separate bowl of skinny fries.