A good pinch of Ground Ginger
A pinch of Salt
Vegetable Oil (for deep-frying)
1. For the batter, sift the cornflour, ground ginger, salt and flour together into a medium bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre, add the ginger beer. Then whisk from the centre outwards, until just combined (it is okay if the batter is a little lumpy). Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
3. Place the seasoned flour onto a plate and roll the haddock fillets in it until covered well. Dip the fish into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil to deep-fry 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
4. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the mayonnaise, add the zest and juice of the lime to the mayo and stir. Serve this in a ramekin with the fish along with a wedge of lemon and homemade chips.