, (cleaned of barnacles and beards)
x good sprinkle of roughly chopped coriander
A good pinch of cracked black pepper
Serve these wonderful plump mussels with a chilled glass of wheat beer
1. Wash the mussels under plenty of cold, running water. Discard any open ones that won't close when lightly squeezed.
2. Pull out the tough, fibrous beards protruding from between the tightly closed shells and knock off any barnacles. Give the mussels another quick rinse to remove any little pieces of shell.
3. Soften the onion in the butter in a large pan big enough to take all the mussels - it should only be half full.
4. Add the mussels and beer, then turn up the heat to rapidly boil the beer for 5 minutes, tossing the mussels around during cooking until all have opened.
5. Add the cream, coriander and black pepper; stir and heat through.
6. Spoon into large warmed bowls and serve with lots of warm crusty bread butter.