1kg of Fish Goujons
160g Plain Flour
250ml Water or Beer
A pinch of Salt
Vegetable Oil, for deep-frying
100g Seasoned Flour
A wedge of Lemon for garnish
1.25kg of Peeled Chipped Potatoes
1. For the batter, sift the flour and salt together into a medium bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre add the beer/water, and then whisk from the centre outwards until smooth. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
3. Place the seasoned flour onto a plate and roll the goujons of fish in it until covered well. Dip the fish into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil to deep-fry for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
4. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
5. For the chips - wash and pat them dry. Heat the oil to 120°C in a deep-fat fryer or large, deep saucepan. Blanch the chips a few handfuls at a time in the fat for a couple of minutes. Do not brown them. Once they seem drier and slightly cooked remove from the fat and drain.
6. Keep covered and at room temperature until needed. Reheat the fat to 200°C and cook the chips until golden and crisp about 5 - 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
7. Serve with a wedge of lemon, home-made chips and a good quality tartar sauce.
8. You can serve this in cones made of newspaper, coffee or tea cups.