x Lemon (juice and zest)
Sunflower Oil (for deep frying)
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Start the day before by cutting the coral off the scallops and place in a bowl with the juice of a lemon. Cover and chill in the fridge overnight.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs with the finely grated lemon zest and season with black pepper and salt.
3. Drain the lemon from the marinating scallops and then roll in the seasoned flour.
4. Now roll them in the beaten egg until evenly coated.
5. Then roll in the lemon zest breadcrumbs.
6. Deep fry in hot oil for 4-6 minutes until golden brown remove from the oil and sit on some kitchen paper for a minute.
7. Serve with some good quality tartar sauce for dipping.
Chefs tip - The coral needs to be removed because they explode when deep fried. However cooking them gentle in a little garlic butter makes a nice treat for the one who is doing the cooking. These breaded scallops also make a very good party food/canapé when served on very small skewers or cocktail sticks.