g Flour (seasoned with Salt and Pepper)
x slices of Bloomer Bread
A few handfuls of Rocket leaves
ml good quality Tartar Sauce or Homemade (see instructions for recipe)
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Take the goujons and roll them in seasoned flour until evenly coated.
2. Then dip them in the beaten egg until evenly coated.
3. Finally roll them in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
4. Deep fry them in hot oil for 4-6 minutes until golden brown, remove, drain and put on kitchen paper for a minute.
5. To make the sandwich butter the bread* then add the goujons, some rocket, sliced tomato and a generous dollop of tartar sauce.
6. Serve with a wedge of lemon and chilled glass of white wine ... or a mug of tea works very well.
If you wish to make Tartar Sauce; take some good quality mayo add shallot, capers and gherkins all chopped quite small. Then add some chopped parsley, a pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper. Give it a good stir and enjoy.
*At this point in writing this recipe the phrase "teaching you grandmother to suck eggs" sprang to mind.