There are many places where good rock fishing can be found on the North Coast, with an abundance of different species for the keen angler.
Newquay headland, Fly cellars, Pentire headland, Porth island are all popular marks for mackerel, wrasse, pollack, garfish, trigger fish, turbot, plaice and occasional bass. Float fishing and spinning are best in the summer months but bottom fishing with sandeel produces the turbot.
Good marks for ray and turbot are Trenance and Trevose where good quality pollack, mackerel, wrasse, garfish, plaice, dabs and conger can also be found. Park Head is well known for a wonderful variety including gurnard, ray, pollock and wrasse. Rumps Point to the east of Padstow for gurnard, ray, pollock and wrasse. Daymer Bay and the wave cut platforms at Pentire are both good marks but require caution.
Godrevy Point offers mackerel, pollack and wrasse, which also abound at Navax Point. Rumps Point at St Agnes for gurnard, ray, plaice and dabs. Best baits are sandeel, ragworm, lugworm, peeler crab and mackerel strip.
Please remember that the North coast can produce some big sea swell and not to get too close to the water and watch the tides!
It should be noted that in summer the beaches are very popular with bathers and holidaymakers so beach and times should be chosen with some care.
Any Newquay beaches are good for bass in the evenings especially, or early morning before the crowds descend. Baits, peeler crab, sandeels, rag, lug or whole mackerel fillet.
Perranporth offers several miles of good beach for all flatfish as does Holywell Bay and Crantock. Watergate Bay is fine for bass, ray, turbot and plaice as is Mawgan Porth and Constantine.
Portreath and St Agnes. Chapel Porth is good for ray and turbot with other beaches providing plaice, dab and flounder. Perranporth Beach is also popular with holidaymakers so avoid busy times: late evenings and early mornings will give excellent sport.
The North Coast has an abundance of charter boats available, particularly in Padstow, Port Isaac and especially Newquay. Species to catch are ; cod, pollack, conger, gurnard, ray, mackerel and shark on the specialist boats. All tackle is supplied on board in the price.
River Game & Stillwater Trout Fishing
Bodmin is the centre for salmon sea trout and brown trout on the River Camel. Daily and weekly permits from Mr D Odgers, Gwendreath, Dunmere, Bodmin (SAE please). Tel: (01208) 76484. Yearly membership available from the Bodmin Anglers Assoc. Club Secretary, Mr R Burrows, 25 Meadow Place, Bodmin. Tel: (01208) 75513.
- Innis Moor Country Club and Fly Fishery, Innis Moor, Penwithick, St. Austell. (01726 851162)
- Fenwick Trout Fishery, Old Coach Road, Dunmere, Bodmin. Tel: (01208) 78296.
- The River Fowey, 2 miles at Lanhydrock, for salmon and sea trout from 1st April to 30th Sept. Contact: The Hon Sec, Lanhydrock Angling Association, The Estate Office, Lanhydrock Park, Bodmin. Tel: (01208) 74281.
- Salmon, sea trout and brown trout on the River Fowey from 1st April to 15th December.
- Permits from Mr F Cox, 6 Cott Road, Lostwithiel. Tel: (01208) 872136. Day & weekly tickets on sale at Rogers Tackle Shop, Bodmin; (01208 72659) Penhaligons Newsagents, Lostwithiel.
- Trevella Park, Crantock. Two on-site coarse fishing lakes of 1 and 3 acres and another 1.5 acre lake nearby. Contact: Mr B Templeman. Tel. 01208 262202.
- Porth Reservoir, near Newquay.40 acres stocked with bream, rudd, tench and carp. Season open all year (24 hours). Self-service permits in car park. Tel: (01837) 871565
- Gwinear Pool, Gwinear farm, Cubert, Newquay. (01637 830165)
- Goonhavern coarse fishing lake, Goonhavern, Nr Newquay (01872 572612)
- Oakside Coarse Fishery, Summercourt, Nr Newquay (01637 871275)
- Penvose Farm, Tregurrian, Newquay. Near Watergate Bay.
- Rosewater Lake, Hendravossan Farm, Rose, Truro. (01872 573992/ 573040)
- Sharkey's Pit, Strawberry Lane, Joppa, Hayle.( off the A30 Hayle bypass towards Hayle, onto Guilford Rd., onto High Lanes then take Strawberry Lane . Follow for approx 2mls, Sharkey's pit is on your right.
- Trebellan Park Coarse lakes, Cubert, Nr Newquay, (01637 830522)
- White Acres Coarse Fishery, White Cross, Newquay (01726 860220)
- Glenleigh Farm Fishery, Sticker, St. Austell, carp, tench, rudd etc. Directions:- from St Austell take the A390 towards Truro. Approx. 3 mls turn left at Ivor Toms Car Sales. Half mile, at top of hill ( before bus stop) turn left.Car park is at bottom of hill on right hand side. Contact :- Claire Tregunna. Tel: (01726) 73154
- Lakeview Country Club, Old Coach Road, Lanivet, Bodmin. (off main A30 on left before roundabout ) 0208 831808
The Far West
Prussia Cove and Cudden Point are good marks at night for mackerel and conger. Penlee Point between Newlyn and Mousehole provides record catches. The areas between Mousehole and Lamorna, Penzer Point and Carn Du are also favourite marks. Penberth Cove, Logan Rock and the rocks below the Minack Theatre are also good marks. Pedn-men-an-mere, Porth Chapel, Porthgwarra and Mill Bay, near Land's End offer good sport. The cliffs to the west of St Ives are for the expert only, access to the marks here involving a steep climb sometimes with the aid of a rope. Aire Point, Cape Cornwall, Portheras, Clodgy Point and Man's Head can give good sport. Contact local angling clubs for advice.
Perran Sands and Eastern Green Beach near Marazion offer flatfish and ray. The piers and dock area of Penzance and Newlyn offer a wide variety of species with Lariggan Beach offering good flatfish after dark. The pier at Lamorna, the niche between Porthcurno and Logan Rock, the beaches at Sennen offer flatfish, turbot, gurnard and dogfish. Exercise great care if fishing off the breakwater at Sennen which is often awash. The beaches at St Ives are crowded with holidaymakers during summer and all are best fished in the late evening and early morning.
River Game & Stillwater Trout Fishing
Drift Reservoir, Penzance offers 65 acres of fly fishing for brown and rainbows. Season is from 1 st April to 12th October. Newsletter available on request. Contact: Mr T Shorland. Tel: (01736) 63869.
- Boscathnoe, nr. Penzance is an old established fishery. Tel: (01392) 443362.
- St. Erth Fishery, St. Erth, Penzance has a 2.5 acre lake for large carp, tench, bream and roach.
- Bill's Pool, St. Erth, Penzance is a 2 acre lake for roach, tench, rudd, bream and eels..
- Choone Farm, St. Buryan, Penzance offers 2 lakes with carp, tench, rudd and roach. Tel: (01736) 810220.
- Bussow, nr St Ives is popular with holiday anglers. Open all year,24 hrs a day. . Tel: (01837) 871565).
- Tindeen Fishery, Bostrase, Goldsithney, Penzance. 073676 3486
Good rock marks abound from Pendennis Point to Penhale. Those mentioned all require care. Pendennis Point is a good mark for wrasse and pollock, as is St Anthony's Head which, on autumnal nights, is an excellent mark for black bream. Porthallow offers good marks for coalfish and conger. Lizard and Trewavas Head where wrasse, mackerel and conger are good sport.
Mevagissey harbour wall, Charlestown harbour, Polkerris harbour and Black Head nr. St. Austell for mackerel, pollack, garfish and wrasse. Float fishing and spinning are best here.
The Prince of Wales Pier, Falmouth fishes well for pollock, mackerel and flounder. Trefusis Point, Flushing for wrasse, pollock, mackerel and the occasional ray. Coverack provides pollock, garfish and mackerel; try for conger and bull huss at the breakwater at night. Carlyon Bay (Crinnis) can be float fished at high tide for mackerel.
For flatfish try Par, Porthpean, Pentewan, Gorran Haven, Penare and Boswinger beaches. Early morning and late evening will avoid the bathers.
River Game & Stillwater Trout Fishing
Argal Reservoir, Penryn has 65 acres of fly fishing for stocked rainbows. Season 1 st April to 31st October. Boats are available along with an Allenard Mk II for wheel chair bound and handicapped anglers. There is a picnic area. facilities for the disabled, toilets, play area and wooded walks. Tel: (01579) 342366.
Stithians Reservoir off the A393 Penryn / Redruth Road has 274 zoned acres offering all types fishing for natural brown and rainbows. Tel: (01579) 342366.
Tree Meadow trout fishery, Deveral Road, Fraddam, Hayle. 01736 850899
Trenestrall Lake at St. Mawes has 2 acres for roach, carp and tench on the King Harry Ferry road (call at farmhouse at Trenestrall for directions to the lake).Tel: (01872) 501259.
College Reservoir, nr. Penryn is a renowned carp and pike fishery. Open all year 24 hrs a day. Season permits available. Tel (01837) 871565.
Middle Boswin, Porkellis off the A394 Falmouth/Helston Road is open all year for common, mirror, carp, tench, roach, rudd and perch.
Mellonwatts Mill, Pensagillas Farm, Grampound, Nr Truro. 01872 530232
Trenestrall Lake, Trenestrall Farm, Ruan High Lanes, St Mawes. 01872 501259
Langarth Pool, Polstain Road, Threemilestone, Truro. 01872 75638
Trencreek Farm Country Holiday Park, Hewas Water, St. Austell, Cornwall, PL26 7JG http://www.trencreek.co.uk Telephone Number:01726 882540 Email: [email protected] We have 4 course fishing lakes, with luxury accommodation some available with Hot Tubs, you can enjoy our farm animals, fishing lakes and swimming pool too!.
Wheal Grey, Praa Sands, Penzance has a 4 acre lake stocked with rudd, roach, bream, carp, perch, tench, gudgeon and eels.
Good rock fishing from Gribbin Head (long walk from car park), Black Head, Maenease Point, Goran Haven and Pencarrow. Special care must be taken.
Garfish, conger, mackerel, wrasse and pollack can all be caught from beaches in this area from Cawsand, Whitsand Bay, Seaton, Downderry, Plaidy Beach and Wallace Beach.
- Shillamill Lakes, Lanreath, Looe off the B3359 for common, mirror, crucian, carp, tench, perch, roach and rudd in the four lakes. No close season. Contact: Mr J Facey, Shillamill Lakes Country Club and Park. Tel: (01503) 220271.
- St. Germans-Badham Farm, St Keyne, Liskeard for carp, tench, rudd and roach in 0.5 acre lake. (01579) 343572.
- FISH TEC (Matt Hayes) http://www.affiliatefuture.co.uk/
Fishtec are proud to be recognised as the number 1 fishing tackle supplier in the UK with more than 10 years experience. We operate from 100,000 sq. ft of warehouse space to ensure our orders are dispatched on time. Customers can choose from over 10,000 items and all our Internet orders are processed daily so customers can benefit from next day delivery.
No mention has been made of the excellent mullet fishing to be had nearly everywhere in the West Country. Light tackle is a must and coarse fishing tactics work best. Size 12 hooks on 4lb line lightly floated or ledgered. Maggot, small ragworm and tiny slivers of mackerel belly fillet are the baits to use, ground baiting all the time with mashed up mackerel, bread and fish oil mix. Scattering a few maggots in as well to keep them interested and in a feeding frenzy.
Remember, they have soft mouths and you won't be able to just lift them in !
Please take your rubbish away and discard safely
(Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this leaflet but no responsibility for any omissions or errors contained within shall be accepted by the proprietors)
- Use of barbless hooks is required at most coarse fisheries.
- Please wet hands before handling fish.Unhook fish and return with care
- Don't use keep nets in hot weather
- You must have a valid rod licence before fishing in lakes and rivers
- Sea Fishing Baits - Sandeels, Mackerel, Peeler crab, Squid, Lugworm, Ragworm.
- Coarse Fishing Baits - Maggots, Hemp, Boilies, Luncheon meat, Sweetcorn, Trout pellets, Pastes, Ground baits, Breadcrumb, Flavourings etc.