1 pack of Ready to Roll Puff Pastry
100g Very Mature Strong Cheddar (grated)
½ tsp Tomato Puree
A little beaten Egg
1. Roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle a few millimetres thick.
2. Brush with beaten egg.
3. Mash the anchovy with a fork, mix with the tomato puree and spread over one half of the pastry.
4. Sprinkle the same half of the pastry with the Cheddar.
5. Fold the other half of the pastry over and press down.
6. Flatten down by rolling it with a rolling pin.
7. Brush with beaten egg.
8. Cut into 1 cm wide strips.
9. Pick up the strips with a hand at each end, giving them a few twists.
10. Place the straws on baking sheet that is lined with baking parchment.
11. Chill for 30 minutes to relax the pastry.
12. Bake in a preheated oven 190°c for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Remove from the oven and carefully move the straws onto a wire cooling rack.
14. When cool store in an airtight tin.